Mission & History
Charlestown Lacrosse & Learning Center envisions a community in which young people of all ages and backgrounds possess the leadership skills, self-confidence and knowledge to succeed on the field, in the classroom and in life.
Since the fall of 1997, CLLC has provided educational services, as well as athletic opportunities through the sport of lacrosse, to the youth of Boston. Over the years CLLC has helped youth and adolescents develop into not only successful students, but also contributing members of the community. Our services - which include tutoring, drop-in homework help, a healthy cooking program, reading groups and standardized test preparation - are free of charge and open to the community. This school year, our programs are servicing students from community schools, as well as schools throughout Greater Boston.
As an education-oriented, multi-service youth development program, we use lacrosse, academic enrichment, and community service as vehicles to enhance intellectual curiosity, support and encourage academic progress, and motivate participants to set and pursue challenging academic and athletic goals.
To achieve these aims, Charlestown Lacrosse & Learning Center:
• Provides participants with safe and rewarding after-school programs;
• Encourages participants to achieve their potential on the lacrosse field, in the classroom, and expose them to the new educational opportunities;
• Improves participants' understanding of wellness, healthy behaviors, and sound judgment;
• Represents, in all of its programs, the diversity of the Boston neighborhoods; and
• Provides rewarding opportunities for adult community members to actively impact the lives of Boston's youth.